Make this your new staple rather than pumpkin pie. After one taste, you will agree. Put a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top, and you have a festive dessert you can be proud of.
- 1 can organic pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix, which has a lot of sugar)
- 1 can whole fat coconut milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons pumpkin pie spice or your mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger, clove
- ½ cup to 1 cup raisins
- ½ cup to 1 cup dried coconut (no sugar added)
- ½ cup to 1 cup chopped pecans or other nuts
- Several squirts of Trader Joe’s organic stevia to taste
- 2 Tablespoons organic coconut sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
In a large oven proof bowl, mix the pumpkin and the coconut milk. Blend in the eggs. Then add all the rest.
I tried to make this with just Stevia and it doesn’t quite work, but adding a tiny bit of sugar works for me. Add liquid Stevia and/or the coconut sugar until it seems right.
I love the fall spices: cinnamon, ginger, allspice, … And love to have lots of them. You can alter the amount of spices to suit your taste.
This is so easy because I bake it in the same bowl I mix it in. No extra cleanup.
The pudding takes FOREVER to bake. I put it in at 375 degrees Fahrenheit. I check it at 45 minutes, but it is always very runny in the center. So I reset the timer for 10 minutes at a time and check again. When it seems like it is finally getting solid, I give it 5 more minutes and until the knife I insert comes out clean. I would guess it takes about 1 hour 10 minutes. But I would never wait that long before checking. Even the shape of your bowl will make the cooking time vary.
Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit until it tests done.
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream over it, melting. Or with whipped cream. Or just plain.
And since it is so healthy, I usually eat some of the leftovers for breakfast. Will last several days in the refrigerator.